Community Service Specialist Job at City of Baytown – 4.0 Baytown, TX
Baytown is a growing community with a population of about 82,000 situated on the north side of Galveston Bay approximately 25 miles from Downtown Houston. As a full-service municipal government our purpose is simple – Together we enrich lives and build community.
Our employees are dedicated to public service through Caring, Innovation, Collaboration, Leadership and Stewardship, and we are looking for a qualified candidate who shares our values to join our team in the role of Community Service Specialist.
The Community Service Specialist performs duties to support the City of Baytown Police Department’s overall mission. Generates complaints and offense reports. Answers inquiries from the public by telephone or in person. Provides customer service and communications (both internal and external). Answers emergency service calls and transfers them to dispatch. Utilizes computer skills including data entry, word processing, mathematical computation, taking citizen’s complaints for reports and letter preparation. This position will also enter and retrieve data within the Criminal Justice Information System, Versadex, Microsoft Outlook and process general information requests for the public or other agencies. Shift work required.
Answers general inquiries from the public in person and by telephone. Screens citizen’s calls, redirecting citizens to appropriate office, officer or supervisor. Customer service (internal and external), assists citizens with questions or concerns regarding reports and requests. Clarifies State laws, City ordinances, and Department policies in relation to the citizens inquiry.
Takes reports and information regarding criminal offenses and generates reports in Versadex. Obtains pertinent information to include but not limited to:
Location of incident;
Type of incident/complaint;
Complainant’s name, address, phone number;
General information and details that would assist with report information. Documents information related to calls for service in the Versadex and Microsoft Outlook or on hand written forms. Maintains complete and accurate records of each event for all calls for service.
Reviews reports that have been submitted to CopLogic and forwards the initial reviewed report to supervisor for final approval.
3. Provides general office support including answering telephones, taking messages, sending/receiving faxes. Maintains knowledge and proficiency in operation of all equipment; internal and external computer databases for accessing law enforcement/criminal justice information, and other critical data.
4. Assists in the release of vehicles temporarily held by the Police Department and ensures the appropriate fees are collected by Records.
5. Collects and enters information in reference to Emergency Protective Orders, runaways, missing people and lost and stolen items which is then entered into the National Crime Information Center “NCIC” and Texas Criminal Information Center “TCIC”. Entry of Emergency Protective Order.
6. Collects and processes all written citations into Versadex and into Brazos this position is also required to copy the citations and disseminate the information to the Baytown Municipal Court .
7. Performs reviews and maintains knowledge of, Versadex, NCIC / TCIC, all policies, procedures, memorandums, or directives that govern and regulate operations for the Community Service Specialist.
EDUCATION, CERTIFICATION, & EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or equivalent (GED). Basic knowledge of grammar, spelling, punctuation and simple mathematical functions.
Six months related experience dealing with the public and customer service.
Experience with a multi-line telephone system.
Experience with data entry and word processing.
Ability to pass a Criminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) fingerprint-based background check and maintain CJIS eligibility.
Prior military or police related experience.
Experience in Windows, Microsoft Word, Unix 5.1 WordPerfect.
Bilingual – Spanish.
Ability to multi-task, establish priorities, work independently, and maintain organization skills. Work requires continual attention to detail in entering, composing, typing and proofing data and materials. Remain calm, function in rapidly changing situations and successfully handle all situations under stressful and non-stressful conditions. Speak clearly and concisely in person and over the phone. Prioritize and process multiple requests for assistance or information to include receiving and delivering messages. Skilled in typing and data entry, knowledge of business machine operations, Personal computers related to software input, inquire, locate data in computer systems to obtain information. Ability to work with the public, write in a clear concise manner, “research” for an answer, maintain confidentiality. Prioritize professional support and process multiple requests for assistance of information. Ability to work well and to appropriately get along with co-workers and the public.
About the Company
Company: City of Baytown – 4.0
Company Location: Baytown, TX