County Caseworker I – Children & Youth Services Job at County of Berks – 3.4 Reading, PA
This position provides a full range of social services to families, including interviewing and casework services, in accordance with established Federal and State regulations, policies and procedures.
1. Obtains information from clients, members of their families, and others, necessary for the identification of social, economic, emotional, health or physical problems and for assisting clients in obtaining a wide variety of services based on established policy.
2. Provides casework and counseling services to clients and members of their families to aid them in achieving a more satisfactory adjustment to their specific problems or situations.
3. Works in close cooperation with other social agencies, hospitals, clinics, courts, and community resources in planning to meet the needs of clients and assists the clients in utilizing these resources.
4. Interprets programs, policies and procedures to individuals, groups, and agencies.
5. Documents all contacts with family, collaterals, service providers, etc. and ensures placement in family file within agency policy guidelines.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
· Bachelor’s degree which includes or is supplemented by successful completion of 12 college credits in sociology, social welfare, psychology, gerontology, criminal justice, or other related social sciences, OR
· Two (2) years of experience as a County Social services Aide 3 and two years of college level course work which includes 12 college credits in sociology, social welfare, psychology, gerontology, criminal justice, or other related social sciences.
· Any combination of experience and education which includes 12 college credits in the above related social sciences AND one (1) year of experience as a County Social Services Aide.
· Successful Interview and written sample.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of the basic principles of economics, sociology, psychology, and other social sciences.
· Knowledge of current social, economic, and health problems and their impact on the growth and development of people.
· Knowledge of human development and behavior including the individual, family, and group.
· Ability to understand and accept the needs and rights of others and to work with adults and children who are physically challenged, mentally disabled, emotionally disturbed, and economically disadvantaged.
· Ability to learn, interpret and apply relevant laws, regulations, and policies governing agency services.
· Ability to learn how to conduct individual and family interviews and to use them to identify individual and family problems.
· Ability to learn how to effectively interact with individuals, families, and as a member of a treatment team.
· Ability to plan and organize work, prepare adequate records and reports, set priorities, and learn to maintain a caseload in an effective and timely manner.
· Ability to adequately express ideas orally and in writing.
· Demonstrated proficiency in the use of Microsoft Word and Excel.
· Ability to accept direction and supervision as well as the flexibility to change daily assignments on short notice.
· Ability to handle stress.
· Physical presence in the office is required.
Work involves walking, talking, hearing, using hands to handle, feel objects, tools, or controls, and reaching with hands and arms. Vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds a distance of fifteen (15) feet or less.
Office environment, and various field locations as assigned.
This position description serves as a guideline for communicating the essential functions and other information about the position to the applicant/employee. It is not intended to create a binding employment contract nor cover every detail of the position and may be changed where appropriate.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $41,146.00 per year
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
Work Location: One location
About the Company
Company: County of Berks – 3.4
Company Location: Reading, PA