Deputy Sheriff’s Jobs in Reading at County of Berks
Title: Deputy Sheriff’s
Company: County of Berks
Performs operation of data entry, verification and imaging functions relating to court document filings; daily assignment of Judges to civil and criminal cases; interface with personnel within the department and in other court-related departments; does related work as required. The work is performed under the supervision of the Court Information
Management Supervisor and Deputy Court Administrator.
1. Serves all writs and orders of the Court.
2. Performs Levies and holds personal property sales.
3. Conducts Sheriff Sales.
4. Maintains courtroom security.
5. Transports prisoners.
6. Serves arrest and bench warrants.
7. Serves Protection from Abuse orders including weapons seizures and exclusions.
8. Controls prisoners in the cell block and while under the control of the deputy.
9. Escorts prisoners to Court and back to cell block.
10. Investigates firearms applications for dealers and License to Carry permits.
11. Guards prisoners outside of prison.
12. Enforces court orders.
13. Serves injunctions and maintains order at strikes.
14. Processes legal papers.
15. Maintains records, prepares and types reports.
16. Contacts attorneys, defendants, applicants, references and others by telephone.
17. Secures property.
18. Posts notices for Sheriff and Tax Sales.
19. Travels inter and intra state for extraditions.
20. Assists police at incidents, in Court, at DUI centers and any other time when required.
21. Enforces crime code.
22. Enforces vehicle code.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
1. High school diploma or G.E.D. certification from a recognized issuing agency.
2. Must be at least 21 years of age and a citizen of the United States.
3. Must possess a valid Pennsylvania drivers’ license and be willing to obtain a Commercial Driver’s License as required. Must have a class “C” CDL or permit with Passenger Endorsement at time of hire or obtain within 30 days of hire.
4. Successful completion of a rigid security background check and oral interview.
5. Completion of Municipal Police Officers Education and Training Program, P.L. 1974, Act 120, or State Police Officer Education and Training, or Deputy Sheriff’s Education and Training Act, P.L. 1984, Act 1984-2 certified at the time of application, or equivalent combination of experience and training which provides these requirements, qualifications, skills, and abilities.
6. During the first year of employment, must attend, complete and pass the Act 2 Waiver
Training to include: Civil and Criminal Court proceedings, Court Security,
7. Must attend and successfully complete Act 120 and Act 2 updates as required.
8. Must successfully qualify and complete the Berks County Sheriff’s Department Firearms Training Program.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written directions.
2. Ability to drive and automobile, van or bus as required.
3. Skill in powers of observation and memory.
4. Ability to exhibit excellent moral character.
5. Ability to exercise good judgment, tact, and courtesy.
6. Ability to deal with and communicate with distraught, disturbed and/or maladjusted people.
7. Ability to handle stress.
8. Physical presence on-site may be required.
Duties are performed both in an office environment and in the field. In the field the employee is exposed to varying and extreme weather conditions…