DIO – Defence Training Estate East Deputy Commander Job at UK Government – Ministry of Defence – West Tofts
The Headquarters Defence Training Estate East is tasked with delivering the Head of Establishment role and training services to allow Defence and partners across government to live, work and train. The main effort for Defence Training Estate East is to manage the safe place to train and support and advise Training Safety Officers at each site in the delivery of their safe place duties and responsibilities. All staff focus on delivering the safe place to train, ensuring the rigorous application of statutory legislation and mandatory regulation contained in the various standing orders, with a focus on the safe system of training.
Reporting to the Regional Commander East, the Deputy Commander, as the senior staff officer, is responsible for the day-to-day smooth running of the headquarters, providing the central focus for all regional outputs. Deputising for the commander during periods of leave, training and occasional absence. The Deputy Commander will have specific responsibility for the Regional Operations Room, Public Relations, Community Engagement and Media with a particular focus on the regional response to Parliamentary Questions, Freedom of Information requests and general Media Enquiries. Military experience and knowledge are essential as the role requires a detailed understanding of ‘Safe Place’ and its application to military training. The post has Line Management responsibility for one civil servant and three military positions
DIO Training Estate East staff are based across the UK including, Beckingham, Donna Knook, Holbeach, Colchester. We offer a flexible base location for this role and will therefore make one of these locations your duty station where possible. Where this is not possible, we will look to assign an alternative MOD establishment as your duty station.
Work location will be agreed once the successful candidate has been selected.
- Provide a central focus for all headquarters staff outputs, monitor the regions response to higher authority returns and reports to ensure that they are submitted, on time, comply with the recognised staff process and procedure, maintain a standard of convention and deliver the required detail in an easy to understand format.
- Lead for all UK Ops that affect Defence Training Estate East working closely with HQ UK DTE and HQ OS&Trg Region Ops Plans staff.
- Ensure the Regional Operations Room remains safe, effective and efficient by regular review of the Standing Orders, monitoring the day to day operation and giving direction to the Ops WO, Plans WO and the LSS Operators as necessary. Act as the regional lead on BAMS.
- Single point of contact for Media and Public Relations working closely with sub-unit commanders, DIO media team and the three service media offices.
- Responsible for Community Relations working with the local authorities and parish councils to ensure we maintain the ‘Consent to Train’.
- Investigate, research and prepare all responses to Parliamentary Questions, letters from MP, Freedom of Information enquiries and requests for information from the press.
- Maintain effective liaison within DIO, industry partners, contractors and local stakeholders to foster collaborative working and safeguard the reputation of the MOD.
- Line Management responsibility for the Operations WO, Exercise Plans WO and the D Grade Co-Ord Post.
- Act as Fund Manager of the Non-Public Fund Account.
- Demonstrate a personal commitment to the DIO Guiding Principles.
- On a rota, take the role of Duty Officer for weekend and out-of-hours cover as required.
1. Staff experience at unit (Regt/Bn/Ship/Station) level
2. Operational and training experience at a minimum of sub-unit level
3. Collaborative working and working with diverse teams of staff from a variety of disciplines and organisations
4. Excellent oral and written communication skills
5. Full UK Driving Licence for travel to remote DTE locations not served by public transport
Desirable Experience & Skills
- Experience at staff in a Combat Arm Headquarters.
- Knowledge and experience of Public Relations.
- An ability to prepare and deliver Oral and Written briefings.
- SA(A) 90 Range Planning Qualification or special to arm equivalent
- Media Ops training or knowledge and experience of Public Relations and Media Management
- Service Funds Training
- Building Community Relations and community engagement
Essential: Full UK Driving Licence for travel to remote DTE locations not served by public transport
We’ll assess you against these behaviours during the selection process:
Communicating and Influencing
Making Effective Decisions
Delivering at Pace
Changing and Improving
We only ask for evidence of these behaviours on your application form:
Communicating and Influencing
Making Effective Decisions
We enable our people to work at the right place, with the right people, at the right time.
We believe that if we look after our people, they will be passionate about delivering great things for our customers.
We understand the importance of life outside of work and our industry leading flexible working practices, digital technology and modern workspaces will give you the opportunity to enjoy a healthy work-life balance.
The MOD Discover My Benefits page lists the full set of benefits. Some of the many benefits you will receive include:
- Highly competitive Pension Scheme
- Flexi-time scheme
- Alternative working practices such as working from home
- 25 days annual leave rising (1 day per year) to 30 days upon completion of 5 years’ service
- Ability to roll over up to 10 days annual leave per year
- In addition to 8 public holidays per year you will also receive leave for HM The Queen’s birthday
- Minimum of 15 Days Special Leave in a rolling 12-month period to for volunteer military or emergency service reserve commitments
- Special Paid Leave for volunteering up to 6 days a year
- Enhanced maternity, paternity and adoption leave
- Employee Assistance Programme to support your wellbeing
- Most sites have good travel links with free car parking; many also have other facilities such as a Sports & Social Club, Gym and / or site shops
Learning & Development
- Professional and Personal Development of skills
- Access to thousands of training courses through Civil Service Learning, some free or paid by DIO
- Ability to obtain industry recognised qualifications supported by DIO
The post advertised is for 37 hours net, however the Ministry of Defence offers a range of flexibilities to enable a better work-life balance for employees. Flexible working will be considered
This post does not offer any assistance with relocation allowances.
Please be advised that the Department is conducting a review of all pay related allowances which could impact on those allowances that the post currently being advertised attracts.
About the Company
Company: UK Government – Ministry of Defence –
Company Location: West Tofts