Electoral Services Officer Job at East Herts Council Hertford
A fixed term opportunity has arisen for a highly motivated individual to join the Council’s high performing Electoral Services team for up to a year. This is an exciting time for you to join us and develop your career working within a diverse political council with members of all major parties. The team is at the forefront of all elections in the district.
This motivated and highly professional team is looking for an individual committed to excellence in their work and with a passion for being part of the democratic process. If successful, you will assist across all aspects of electoral services and co-supervise two members of staff under the guidance or in the absence of the Electoral Services Manager. The successful candidate will be required to work full time (37 hours per week) for approximately six weeks immediately prior to any scheduled or unscheduled election or referendum.
Some of the key responsibilities include:
- To act as deputy to the Electoral Services Manager
- To provide administrative and technical support in the conduct of elections, referendums, statutory ballots and other polls, maintaining the staff database, encouraging new entrants and assisting with the distribution of statutory election notices
- To assist with periodic statutory reviews of polling places by assessing the suitability of buildings for use as polling stations in accordance with Electoral Commission guidelines
- To utilise knowledge of electoral registration law to process all categories of individual electoral registration applications in accordance with strict deadlines- considering statutory information required to constitute a complete application and entitlement to register (age, nationality, leave to remain)
- To undertake local data matching, request evidence and handle sensitive information
- To assist in conducting the annual canvass of all households in accordance with statutory regulations
This role will suit a detailed, focused, enthusiastic team player who enjoys a customer facing environment.
The ideal candidate will have:
- Good understanding of electoral registration and management software
- Experience of working in an electoral services environment
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly to new procedures
About the Company
Company: East Herts Council
Company Location: Hertford