Highways Officer Job at Hertfordshire County Council – Hertford
Hertfordshire truly is the County of Opportunity. Housing growth in the County is presently anticipated to a level of 100,000 homes. The Highways Development Management Team based at County Hall are looking for an officer/transport planner to join the team. Someone who has a focus on providing highway responses to planning applications and a desire to influence sustainable development and ensuring the impacts of growth are managed.
This is an exciting opportunity with involvement in interpreting transport policy and technical standards in order to deliver the formal advice of the County Council, as the statutory highway and transport authority. The role requires an ability to work in a collaborative manner with colleagues, private sector partners and Local Planning Authorities.
We are looking for enthusiastic and pro-active individuals to join the service. The role will involve:
- Considering, evaluating and reporting upon the transport implications of planning applications informally at pre-application stage and formally as part of the statutory response period when submitted.
- Providing support to the process of negotiating with developers and their consultants on contributions to transportation infrastructure arising from development proposals and ensure these are properly secured through the completion of appropriate legal agreements.
- Contribute local development management intelligence to the production of spatial transport strategies.
- Represent the County Council at meetings with private sector partners, District Council Planning Departments and at appeals (written reps/ informal)
Key benefits of the role include:
- Opportunity to be involved with shaping future highway infrastructure provision to support the Government’s growth agenda both at a local and strategic level;
- Working with a diverse range of internal and external stakeholders to deliver a quality service;
- Gain an understanding of planning and highway law, including the Town & Country Planning Act 1990 and Highways Act 1980;
This role is a fantastic opportunity for an individual with relevant experience to further (or commence) their knowledge in the highway sector where you will be considering development proposals involving local and strategic schemes.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Alan Story, Development Manager on 01992 658326 or [email protected] Matthew Armstrong, Development Manager on 01992 556065 or [email protected]
Closing Date: 25th April 2021
Interview Date: 4th May to 7th May 2021
Benefits of Working for HCC:
Flexible Working Arrangements (depending on the role)
Excellent Career Development
Salary Exchange for Additional Benefits
Excellent Pension Scheme with Employer Contributions
Support Groups & Wellbeing Schemes
How to Apply: Please follow the ‘Apply for Job’ button at the bottom of the screen. As part of the application you will be required to upload your most recent CV ensuring gaps in employment have been addressed and includes your current, or most recent, employer. You are also asked to provide a supporting statement which is your opportunity to evidence how your skills, knowledge and experience match what we are looking for based on the Person Specification area of the attached Job Outline. If you do not supply a supporting statement, your application will be rejected.
Important Note re Interviews: Where we are able to, and in accordance with current COVID-19 Government guidelines in regard to social distancing, all interviews will be held virtually via Microsoft Teams. Full details on how this will work will be sent to you, should you be shortlisted for an interview.
English Fluency: The ability to converse at ease with members of the public and provide advice in accurate spoken English is essential for the post.
Disability Confident: We are proud to be a Disability Confident employer and guarantee an interview to anyone disclosing a disability whose application meets the minimum criteria for the post.
Diversity: We are an inclusive employer and value a diverse workforce
Why Hertfordshire: Watch our ‘Why Hertfordshire’ video. Our staff use their own words to tell their story and share their experiences of what it is like working here. Take your next step in your career.
About the Company
Company: Hertfordshire County Council –
Company Location: Hertford