Public Works Driver Job at City of Columbus Indiana – Columbus, IN
Position Title: DPW Driver
Department: Department of Public Works
Reports to: DPW Foremen / DPW Director
Hourly Range: $15.60 – $19.50 / hour
FLSA: Full Time, Non-Exempt, Safety Sensitive (CDL holders are in the
FMCSA drug pool)
Working Hours: 7 am – 3:30 pm, Monday-Friday, holidays, weekends & overtime as required
Application Deadline: October 31, 2021
The Department of Public Works is committed to providing excellent customer service and our employees are expected to be effective communicators, act with a high level of integrity, responsible and accountable. Drivers operate and maintain equipment, perform construction and maintenance of City streets, curbs, sidewalks, storm sewers and related infrastructure.
Drivers are responsible to complete assigned routes providing collection and disposal of residential garbage, recycle, yard waste, and brush. Performs related work within the Public
Works Department as required, including snow removal, leaf removal, maintain City Right of Way’s, mowing, storm cleanup/removal, and assist other departments as needed.
Required to respond to emergencies including after hours, Holidays, and weekends.
- Work on projects such as but not limited to;
- Perform heavy physical labor in all types of outdoor weather using a variety of hand tools, power tools, and equipment
- Street maintenance/repairs
- Asphalt/Concrete Patching
- Sidewalk repair/install – in compliance with ADA Requirements
- Forming and finishing concrete
- Perform mathematical calculations to set grade, figure yardage, etc.
- Storm water maintenance – repair- cleaning
- Alley maintenance – patching – grading – stoning
- Provide and maintain safe traffic control for road projects
- Fabricate and install traffic signage throughout the City
- Apply Road Markings/Paint
- Prep snow plow trucks with proper equipment (plows, spreaders, etc.)
- Physically collect and load trash, recyclables, and other debris into truck
- Physically collect and load limbs and brush into truck / brush chipper
- Shovel, rake, and sweep miscellaneous debris for collection
- Secure cables and operate packing levers to empty trash and recycling containers
- Assemble and or repair trash and recycle Toters
- Deliver trash and recycle Toters
- Responsible for driving and completing assigned daily routes
- Tree removal – pruning – stump grinding
- City Right of Way maintenance
- Special events – set up – tear down – clean up
- Operate equipment – Trucks, skid steer, street sweepers, loaders, fork lift, mowers, leaf vacs, snow blowers, etc.
- Operation of Vac Truck and Camera Truck to complete pipe inspections, cleanings, and maintenance
- Perform preventive maintenance on DPW equipment
- Wash vehicles and equipment
- Operating knowledge of hand tools, power tools, and heavy equipment used within DPW or the ability to learn
- Place holiday decorations throughout the Downtown area
- Attend educational sessions and monthly safety meetings
- Responsible for assuring that all equipment is operated in a safe and efficient manner
- Responsible for personal safe work practices and following department procedures at all times
- Works safely observing all OSHA, Federal, State, and City regulations
- Responsible for accurate and timely reports, paperwork and receipts
- Expected to work overtime (scheduled and unscheduled) as required including on call, Holidays, weekends and short notice
- Work in a professional manner with citizens, contractors, and employees
- Assist other departments as necessary
- Perform other duties as assigned
Education and/or Qualifications:
- High school diploma or equivalent preferred:
- knowledge of and ability to drive heavy and light duty trucks/equipment;
- knowledge of I.O.S.H.A. regulations.
- Ability to read & write work order tickets;
- knowledge and use of basic computer programs;
- knowledge of City streets & ability to read street name signs;
- knowledge at or capability of learning the MUTCD manual.
- Must be able to work holidays, weekends and over-time as needed.
- Job requires bending, sitting, lifting, pulling all day, and must be able to regularly, multiple times a day, lift at least 30 lbs.
Licenses or Certifications:
- Valid Driver’s license and good driving record and able to drive and be insured as employee while driving at all times;
- Commercial Driver’s License-Class B with passenger endorsement, and air brakes required or within 180 days.
- Judgment based on established policies and procedures, frequently required to work on own.
- Receives instructions before and during work to complete assigned tasks.
- Ability to deal tactfully and responsively with the general public and the ability to work in harmony with other employees and supervisors.
- Duties require considerable physical effort, continual work outdoors and in inclement weather.
Frequent exposure to dirt, dust, and other unsanitary conditions.
Remarks: Must be able to work over-time, holidays and weekends, and extended hours frequently required for emergencies and specific projects as required.
This description is intended to describe the type and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person and employees at the city may be given other assignments at will.
This position is also subject to the City’s Drug and Alcohol Free Workplace Program which includes: pre-employment testing, random testing, post-accident testing, reasonable suspicion testing, return- to-duty testing and follow-up testing.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $15.60 – $19.50 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
About the Company
Company: City of Columbus Indiana –
Company Location: Columbus, IN