Utility Laborer Job at City of Columbus Indiana – Columbus, IN
Position Title: Laborer
Department: Columbus City Utilities – Wastewater Collection System
Reports to: Wastewater Collection System Supervisor
Hourly Range: $14.61 – $18.26
FLSA: Full-time; Non-exempt, Safety Sensitive (until CDL obtained and then moved to the DOT – FMCSA pool)
Application Deadline: October 18, 2021
The Laborer performs manual labor in the Wastewater Collection System department involved with the repair, construction and preventive maintenance of sanitary sewers or related structures.
Essential (Primary) Duties:
- Individual must be able to work on two-person crew and perform jobs with other department staff.
- After 90-day probation period, applicant must be able to operate all equipment used in the operation and maintenance and cleaning of the collection system.
- Applicant must regularly inspect vehicles and equipment to ensure operators safety and that equipment is operating properly and make any repairs as needed.
- Position requires individual to work Stand-by on a rotating basis and individual will be required to work additional hours beyond the standard work week as mandated by the supervisor for projects that require specific scheduled timeframes.
- Must entirely complete daily work orders documentation.
- Clean assigned areas which include sweeping and general maintenance of work areas, both interior and exterior.
- Regularly inspect vehicle and equipment to ensure proper mechanical functioning and performs maintenance and/or repairs to equipment. Operates vehicle, utilizing care and caution and following all traffic laws and department policies.
Perform other duties as assigned by the Wastewater Collection System Supervisor.
Skills and Experience Requirements
- Working knowledge of and ability to properly operate trucks and heavy equipment used by the department.
- Previous experience in collection system/wastewater helpful but not required.
- Ability to work tactfully with the public, co-workers and other utilities or their representatives.
- Must be professional and maintain a presentable appearance due to the position’s public visibility.
- Ability to follow established departmental procedures, regulations, and policies as related to work responsibilities. Includes the ability to comply with personnel policies as developed and implemented by the department.
- Must perform most duties outdoors and is exposed to a variety of weather conditions and environments.
- Takes all reasonable steps to maintain a safe work environment. Understand hazardous communication and work under all job safety requirements. Safety conscious. Must have safety as the number one priority. Must be well versed in IOSHA requirements.
- Work involves moderately complex, relatively standardized tasks, processes and operations following established laws and procedures. Incumbent works directly with the customer and must be able to meet their concerns, which also requires making sure they know and understand departmental policies as they relate to their questions and / or concerns.
Incumbent must possess and maintain required licenses and certifications identified for the job.
- The physical activity expected is climbing, balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, crawling, reaching, standing, sitting, walking, pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, feeling, talking, hearing and repetitive motions.
- Moderate physical effort is frequently required for regular periods of time.
- Vision sufficient for Driver’s License, CDL, creation and maintenance of documents and using equipment.
Must possess a high school diploma or equivalent plus special training usually gained through work experience, vocational programs or apprenticeships.
Thorough knowledge of departmental customer-related administrative procedures and standards and the ability to apply this knowledge to meet work responsibilities, both efficiently and effectively.
Job Location: The minimum working conditions for this position requires the employee to work both inside and outside, be exposed to temperatures below 32 degrees for periods of more than one hour, be exposed to temperatures above 100 degrees for periods of more than one hour, be exposed to noise, vibration, hazards, and atmospheric conditions in which one or more of the following symptoms affect the respiratory system or the skin: fumes, odors, dust, mists, gases, or poor ventilation.
Works in heavy traffic areas. Ability to set up traffic control for work in city streets, alleys and state highways.
Take all actions necessary to maintain a safe work site and work environment. Ability to understand hazardous communication and work under all job safety requirements. Ability to understand and follow IOSHA safety regulations such as, but not limited to, confined space entry and traffic regulations and control.
- Safety Equipment: The safety equipment required includes, but is not limited to, a hard hat, safety vest, respirator, confined space safety harness, safety glasses and steel-toed shoes, depending on the task.
Licenses or Certifications
- Must have a valid Indiana Driver’s License and maintain it at all times.
- Must have good driving record, sufficient to be covered by city insurance as a driver while on duty.
- Must hold or have the ability to obtain within 90 days of hire, a Class B CDL with air brakes and tank endorsement and maintain at all times.
- Obtaining a CS-1 Collection system Certification within thirty (30) months of hiring highly preferred.
Must reside in Bartholomew County or adjoining county within six (6) months of employment.
This position is subject to the City’s Drug and Alcohol-Free Workplace Program which includes: pre- employment testing, post-accident testing, reasonable suspicion testing, return-to-duty testing and follow-up testing.
This description is intended to describe the type of and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person and employees at the city may be given other assignments at will.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $14.61 – $18.26 per hour
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Flexible spending account
- Health insurance
- Health savings account
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Retirement plan
- Vision insurance
About the Company
Company: City of Columbus Indiana –
Company Location: Columbus, IN